Crispy lumpia with chewy tikoy and cheese inside? Delicious! Try this cheesy tikoy turon recipe!
We have always enjoyed eating tikoy warm and lightly fried, until our friend introduced a better way to eat it–as tikoy turon with cheese! It’s a delicious sweet and mild salty flavor in every crispy bite!
Oil for frying
1. Slice thick sticks of tikoy and cheese (flavor might disappear if they’re thinly sliced).
2. Wrap with lumpia wrapper. Make sure to seal the edges so the melted tikoy and cheese won’t leak too much while frying.
3. Freeze for 1 to 2 hours before deep frying for a crunchier wrapper and so the tikoy and cheese won’t melt easily.
4. Deep fry until golden brown.
5. Drain excess oil by setting the fried tikoy and cheese turons in a “standing position.” Oil tends to settle in the middle so it’s best to prop them vertically for a few minutes so they won’t get too oily or get soggy too easily.
6. Eat them while they’re warm!
To reheat, air fry at low temperature for 1-2 minutes—no need to spray oil on them.
Eng Bee Tin tikoy
We have tried several tikoy brands through the many Chinese New Years, and our favorite is Eng Bee Tin. We’re neither Chinese nor experts in tikoys, but we like its consistency best–not too sticky or goopy and not too sweet. It also helps that they’re now in Shopee and offers a wide range of flavors and other products! Order now and throw in a pack of ube hopia, will you?