One-pot dishes are heaven-sent, requiring less fuss in preparation and dishes to wash. We’re sharing our recipe for a filling soup that’s a meal on its own.
2 large cobs of corn (extract the kernels using a knife). You may also use 1 large can of corn kernels.
1 large can of sliced button mushrooms
1 medium carrot, diced or shredded
1 bulb garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 chicken quarters or 1 whole chicken breast
1 cup oats (you may use either rolled or instant oats)
1 egg (optional)
1 piece laurel leaf (Yes, you read that right. You’ll want its essence to be an underlying note)
1/2 cup chili leaves/spinach/malunggay
2 liters water (place in separate containers)
2 tbsp lemon juice and rind (you may also use calamansi)
1 tsp sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a pot, saute garlic, onions, and mushrooms
2. Add the chicken and brown on all sides
3. Add 1 liter of water, salt, pepper, sugar, laurel leaf, and corn kernels
4. Boil in medium heat for 20 minutes
5. Once the chicken is tender, set it aside and roughly shred with a fork. Note: You may use chicken breast but we prefer chicken quarters for more flavor. We recommend shredding the meat afterward but if you wish to get chunkier pieces, you can also use the rekado cut or soup pack (no need to shred). These cuts use the bonier parts of the chicken and therefore pack a fuller flavor on your broth.
6. Put the shredded chicken meat back to the pot and add the carrots and oats. Cook for 5 minutes. Note: The oats thicken the soup and add more fiber to the meal.
7. Optional: Create little egg ribbons by slowly adding the egg while continuously stirring the soup. Cook for 1 minute.
8. Stir in the lemon or calamansi juice. This helps give the soup a refreshing taste and cuts the “sawa”.
9. Add the spinach or chili leaves and turn off the fire immediately and cover the pot. Tip: You may also use malunggay (moringa) but go easy on it as it gives a bitter after taste.
3 replies on “One-Pot Corn Soup Recipe”
Thanks for this recipe 😍😋
Nakatikim na ko nito pero once pa lang, salamat sa recipe mommy Abi. So nutritious po nitong soup, will try this too. ❤