3 cups of broth (any kind will do, but for this recipe, we used beef broth)
2 scoops of whole grain rolled oats
1 cup water
½ cup shiitake mushroom (you may also use other kinds)
½ cup diced carrots
1 onion (diced)
Chopped scallions for garnish
You may also add other greens like cabbage or lettuce. For this recipe, we just used what’s in our fridge. 🙂
- Bring the broth and 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper and cook
- Add oats and stir continuously. The goal is to make the oats fluffy, so we don’t want to put too much water but they must be cooked through.
- Once the oats are good, add the carrots and other veggies you like.
- Serve and top with chopped scallions.
It can be a meal on its own but you may also pair it with a light-tasting viand like steamed fish or baked chicken.
Since we used left over beef broth, we found that it can be too flavorful with shiitake mushrooms so it’s nice to cut it with something mild and refreshing. You can also squeeze some lemon on it before eating.